Lady Gaga > Katy Perry > Taylor Swift (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, December 03, 2020, 17:45 (1211 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I’m torn on Lady Gaga. In some ways, I respect her a lot. But there has been plenty of buzz around her as a song thief... I have no idea if these accusations are true, but I remember thinking at the time that I was looking into them that the accusations were at least credible.
Giving her the benefit of the doubt and assuming she hasn’t built her career by ripping people off, I just find her music boring. Her biggest hits will have a catchy line or two, and they get copy/pasted into a 3-4 minute song. To me, her stuff is a great example of how not to produce music. Most instruments and even some vocal parts are just 2-4 bar clips that repeat over and over and over, no variation, no motion or progression over the course of the track. There’s a certain amount of copy/paste in most modern music, but Gaga just takes it to a level that’s borderline comedic.

I like Katy Perry a lot more, I just think she (like Christina Agulera) was born in the wrong decade. IMO Katy Perry would’ve fantastic in the early 80s, in an actual band. She’s got enough growl in her voice to nail the whole new wave/post punk sound, and even if she stayed more “pop” she could give Pat Benatar a run for her money (seriously, Katy Perry doing something like Love is a Battlefield would be an absolutely perfect fit).

Taylor Swift is simultaneously my most and least favourite of the 3. Her music has gone so all over the place... when she clicks with what she’s doing, I think she’s fantastic. But then some of her music I find so obnoxious that I just can’t listen to it. I’ll always have a soft spot for her though. Kinda like the way I adore Kylie Minogue to this day, even though I only actually like 1 of her albums.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread