GatorCheaters makes me curious (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 15:27 (1197 days ago) @ ManKitten

Based on the complaint it sounds like it must be looking at the data transmitted to the player by the server. It talks about revealing player locations and providing information other players don’t have access to. Whether they’re reading it in transit or in a local casche isn’t clear, but I would assume local storage would be easier?

Okay, this might be an unpopular question... but if that's really what's happening, why the lawsuit? The server is sending information - I don't remember signing an agreement to ignore content transmitted TO ME by the game, just because they ask me nicely.

Am I wrong?

I think the general idea behind the lawsuit is: GatorCheats is profiting off of a product that directly effects the quality of gameplay for others that could effect their experience negatively enough that they may stop playing and stop purchasing content from Bungie and/or Riot.

Well, sure... but shouldn't it be Bungie/Riot's responsibility not to provide content that allows this sort of behavior?

To be clear - I'm playing devil's advocate here; I don't think people should cheat, and I don't enjoy being cheated on. I'm just surprised by this particular idea that the cheaters aren't doing something nefarious like stealing data that wasn't supposed to come to them - they're simply utilizing the stream the server is sending in a way that the sender hadn't intended. (Or maybe they're not. I guess all of this is hypothetical, and based on the assumption that Vortech is right.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread