GatorCheaters makes me curious (Destiny)

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 18:48 (1197 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Well, sure... but shouldn't it be Bungie/Riot's responsibility not to provide content that allows this sort of behavior?

I disagree with that sentiment. To personalize it, in my day to day job, I do my best to make sure people dont rip off our IP's but at the end of the day, no matter what we do, if they want it bad enough they will get it. They aren't providing data that "allows" it, it was an unforeseen circumstance. They took precautions against it...but cheaters wanted it bad enough they found a way around it.

One of the things I remember from the Halo 3 theater mode and making recordings was that they aren't actually recording the video of the games, but recording the inputs from all players. Then during replay, the data would reenact those inputs to make the viewable video. I can't image online gaming is much different these days. So if the servers are just sending data points of locations, one could probably create software that highlights those data points as visual cues on their screen. And we know in Destiny and other games, characters have different value hit boxes and weapons have different levels of "auto aim". Just turn that aim slider up and point it at the strongest hit box...at the area the data points say...badaboom.

I say all this with total ignorance about game design or really anything about this topic. But, as a dumb dumb...that's how I would do it.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread