Cross Gen is bad (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 03, 2021, 20:45 (1019 days ago) @ electricpirate

Man.

Gran Turismo 7, God of War, and the New Horizon West are now all going to be on PS4 as well. Way to design a game that utilizes the tech well. I was so excited for games that utilized stuff like the ssd to stream and load things in a way impossible on old gen… but I guess we'll have to wait longer.

It's quite disappointing to see the only real upgrades on either side to be 4K rendering, and better frame rates. I feel like this whole cross gen and smart delivery thing is really really holding us back from crazy new unique stuff. It's a bummer.

The ultra fast loading stuff has already been done in cross gen games (eg Miles Morales), so I'll assume they are here too.

then again what's holding back crazy and unique stuff is more down to business considerations and AAA aesthetics.

I guess I was thinking bigger… like engines designed around very fast access to data and assets, so the very fundamental architecture of the game simply wouldn't work on slower devices. But well, whatever.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread