Cross Gen is bad (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 04, 2021, 06:50 (1019 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kermit, Friday, June 04, 2021, 07:04

Man.

Gran Turismo 7, God of War, and the New Horizon West are now all going to be on PS4 as well. Way to design a game that utilizes the tech well. I was so excited for games that utilized stuff like the ssd to stream and load things in a way impossible on old gen… but I guess we'll have to wait longer.

It's quite disappointing to see the only real upgrades on either side to be 4K rendering, and better frame rates. I feel like this whole cross gen and smart delivery thing is really really holding us back from crazy new unique stuff. It's a bummer.

I'm kinda with you. I don't think my eyes will be able to detect better graphics going forward. FPS is never something I've worried much about. I've heard rumors that Sony might have some innovation in the AI space, and I'm up for that.

A factor you don't mention is Covid, and how JIT manufacturing has led to a worldwide shortage of, among other things, PS5s. That has to affect their business decisions regarding exclusives, but heck, some of Sony's exclusives aren't truly exclusive any more.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread