Six Days in Fallujah Delayed a Year (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 29, 2021, 17:00 (870 days ago) @ Coaxkez

I’m going to just let that stand without a response because it reveals more about your own attitudes than anything that could be revealed by a discussion between us.

I mean, that's one way to dodge the points I made, sure. I'd say that definitely says quite a bit about your own approach to a challenged perspective.

Your use of the word zeitgeist is precisely the issue here. Nothing can be permitted to challenge the zeitgeist - ever - or it is deemed problematic and silenced. But who controls the zeitgeist?

That's precisely the issue here. Nobody has said that we shouldn't use the current information that we have to shed light on a situation where nobody seemed to have solid answers or info. We should always be open to understand historical events, and the realities that get lost in the fog of war. Especially when war crimes are involved.

This game does not set out to do any of that. It is presented as a de facto justification for the eponymous "six days in Fallujah". It is a shooter, so you will be expected to pull the trigger on the shadows around every corner, and it is telling you that that was okay. It is telling you that it was "Us vs. Them", and while some civilians may cause you to hesitate, that hesitation- that empathy, doubt, questioning, and moment of "weakness"? That will get you and your men killed.
So don't hesitate. Shooting is justified.
And it's a video game, so have fun doing it!

Could there be reasonable approaches to tell the "True" stories of what happened in order to try to justify or make people agree that maybe all those war crimes weren't so bad after all?
I mean, you seem to think so... But is a video game really the medium to tell that story?
That's why it's propaganda more than anything.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread