Thanks for taking the time to write that, Cody (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, February 04, 2022, 15:51 (809 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Last of Us, at least according to my theory, has no chance. It's the same story as the game, and the game itself was already using film for visual storytelling. And yet, the pedigree of those behind it is impeccable. I'm having a hard time imagining it being done without thought and care. I didn't really touch on TV vs Film, and it does seem a limited series could be more of a suitable format for a game adaptation. And yet, I can't really conceive of the experience being better or different enough from the game to be valuable on its own.

I don't think fans of The Last of Us need the series. The way I see it, the issue is that the writing, story, and characters are so well done they don't need the dynamics of a video game for them to work. Stories that good doesn't grow on trees. Those of us who played the game had a kind of immersive experience that can't be replicated by watching a TV series. That's okay. Bungie said Destiny was inspired by top-shelf serial dramas like the Wire (pre-Staten's departure). It's obvious that Naughty Dog was inspired similarly, but they pulled it off. Since the Sopranos, long-form TV serials have been where the best stories have been told in popular culture. TLoU is paced very much like modern TV dramas. To me, The Last of Us being on HBO is a no-brainer.

But hey I don't know. People seem to be actually figuring this stuff out. I'm pulling for both of these series.

Me, too.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread