AI Created Image won TWAB AOTW (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, February 07, 2023, 20:39 (442 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, February 07, 2023, 20:44

My worry about AI art is going to be about who controls the algorithms. A big corporation? No bueno. Open source and democratic? Now we are talking.

Not only the algorithm matters, the database for training makes a lot of difference too, both in terms of potential and ethically.

Not sure there is anything wrong with training databases ethically either.

Human artists literally do the same thing. You consume art in your field to learn and get better. I watched a bunch of movies to learn the basics of editing. How's that different than an AI looking at images to learn the basics of making one? In neither case did anyone give either me, or the AI permission to learn from them.

If you don't think an AI should be allowed to learn by looking, then you must accept that every human must get permission from every artist whose work they consume in order to learn, OR that a human be potentially forbidden to learn from a certain work of art - an absurd notion.

If you publish your work, it can be used in learning. Seems pretty basic to me. Curtailing that just creates logical and artistic absurdities.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread