I can finally stop saying it (Gaming)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, March 04, 2023, 12:14 (416 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

It is interesting that people don't have this sort of risk aversion when it comes to other consumable things. Going to see a movie is a gamble. Read a review and take your chances on if you like it. There is a difference in price, but if you buy two or three tickets — depending on where you are — not really. Streaming options are causing some erosion, but I don't hear people talk about the risk of not liking the movie when they cut out theaters, it's the ads up front, and the hassle of travel, and the quality of the theater itself.
See also books. See also concerts. See also food (not restaurants, where I think some people believe there is a guarantee of liking your meal, but packaged food)

It's interesting. I honestly wonder if it's the fact that games take a lot of time to play. More so than the cost of money, it's the cost of time that makes people more trepidatious. Books are the only other think I can think of that are expected to take more then a few hours to consume (MCU movies excepted)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread