Agreed (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 16:03 (165 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

It really bugged me that he was so ignorant of the previous context for Lorraine. When I said, "great interview," I meant it was great to let her digest her new situation in a long informal manner. I've never heard her talk outside of soundbites and it was refreshing to have that perspective.

As an interviewer, he's a nice enough guy, but he just was not informed on the subject matter. I think that can be forgiven because he runs a destiny-focused channel, they knew each other, and it was more informal in nature as a way to engage the community. In other words, this wasn't set up to be serious journalism.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't want Mike freaking Wallace. I didn't mind informal or casual.

Beyond that, we're all getting older and it may not be fair to expect everyone to "get it." I definitely have some knowledge gaps about things I came to be a fan of after they had already had a storied history. For instance, I love D&D and Heather and I have been running a game for friends for the last 6-7 years. However, I know nothing beyond some stories of the earlier versions of the game and its relation with the public. I wasn't around when people were ostracized for their passion for instance. I would have enjoyed an interview of this type for a grizzled ancient in D&D while an older fan would probably have found it more flat. Fathers and Sons, the Circle of Life, etc. It makes me wonder how many things I've come to later in their lifespan and enjoyed it just that little bit less because I was missing context. On the other hand, I wonder how much I enjoyed them just a little bit more because I was missing context.

I suspect I'm the oldest who still posts here, so let me be cranky, Robot! I just wish Lorraine didn't have to spend so much time explaining the significance of the MacWorld demo, for example. You're right. I'm not being fair to Myelin, and she chose him.

I certainly know what it's like to be a newbie fan. I've gotten into post-WWII Japanese cinema lately, and as much as I enjoy it, I know there's as mountain of context I just can't get as a 21st century American, and that's okay. It's prompted me to read, and the more I learn, the more there is to appreciate, and there's something awesome about understanding the past. It keeps you humble about the present, for one thing. Circle of life, like you said. We tend to think of people in the past as different from us, but they're mostly not, for better or worse. All that's a tangent, though.

I feel like I should've kept my feelings to myself. Sorry for being a grump. The interview got better the further it went, for sure, and I could have done a better job of acknowledging that. I certainly don't love Lorraine any less, and Myelin is a good bloke.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread