For one last time, I will reiterate my own personal opinion. (Destiny)

by Coaxkez, Wednesday, July 31, 2024, 12:01 (51 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Coaxkez, Wednesday, July 31, 2024, 12:37

It is abundantly clear what needs to happen at Bungie in order to address these managerial issues once and for all.

For over five years, it has been our goal to ship games in three enduring, global franchises. To realize that ambition, we set up several incubation projects, each seeded with senior development leaders from our existing teams. We eventually realized that this model stretched our talent too thin, too quickly.  It also forced our studio support structures to scale to a larger level than we could realistically support, given our two primary products in development – Destiny and Marathon. 

Additionally, in 2023, our rapid expansion ran headlong into a broad economic slowdown, a sharp downturn in the games industry, our quality miss with Destiny 2: Lightfall, and the need to give both The Final Shape and Marathon the time needed to ensure both projects deliver at the quality our players expect and deserve. We were overly ambitious, our financial safety margins were subsequently exceeded, and we began running in the red.

"We were overly ambitious"... yeah, I'll say.

At the very least, we finally have an admission of fault and a show of leadership from the man who should have been front-and-center this entire time. So I'll give him kudos for stepping up to the plate at long last, although it's not nearly enough, but I cannot imagine how Bungie managed to put itself in this position at all. This is the inevitable consequence of long-term poor management, plain and simple, and the lowest employees on the totem pole are paying the price as always.

EDIT: Take this with a grain of salt, naturally, but it's possible that the inevitable has already come to pass.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread