It's to do with greed... (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 02, 2024, 11:26 (49 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Kermit, Friday, August 02, 2024, 11:31

I'm not saying these people are wrong or untruthful, but we should refrain from criticizing Parsons on a personal level because 1) none of us know the man, 2) it's not relevant to the current situation anyway, and 3) the people who are saying these things have a very acute grievance with Parsons and plenty of reason to be angry right now.

This. I find the outrage about the car stuff to be stupid.

It isn't just the cars. It's that he allegedly invited a female developer to see said cars and then laid her off days later. It just displays a disconnect.

I endorse Coaxkez's response.

Guy climbed the greasy pole in a competitive, 100 billion dollar industry. He's been compensated for a while. How and when he spends his money is his business.

He's making the money he is, because of the people at Bungie who actually made the games. Harold Ryan was at least a tester at one point, contributing to the product.

Pete might be a "suit" in the most derogatory sense. I don't claim to know, but a big company needs a leader. I work for a software company, and part of the mythos around our founder is that he still codes. I see the appeal of that, but you need people who are thinking about the big picture, too. I don't think it's fair to judge value based on whether they've literally contributed to the product. Products have to be sold at a profit, or you can't keep making them. Sounds like Bungie (and Pete) have made some poor decisions that threaten the company's viability. Maybe he's on probation, or maybe he's a placeholder until they have the replacement they want. Bungie will start making money, or Parsons will be gone, and he'll probably be gone regardless.

He can spend his money how he wants, but we are also totally free to judge him for it. Nothing is wrong with using your money to make your life comfortable. But once it crosses the line from comfortable to excess, then people are going to rightly form negative opinions.

Yes, and others are totally free to call that judgment irrelevant. Most readers of this forum would almost certainly be judged as living a life beyond comfortable by most people in the world. It's all relative.

Notice how Jason Jones makes as much if not more, and yet nobody is calling him out.

I suspect he's more reclusive and not as quick to be social, which makes his lifestyle less visible. I guess we'll have to wait for your book.

One more note: maybe it's living in Raleigh and routinely seeing supercars with Epic-related license plates, but I was surprised by Pete's taste (save that Jag).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread