Destiny and PC

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 05:15 (4083 days ago) @ Sidola

Consoles are great for party games and shooters, but I have a hard time seeing a game with the depth Bungie is promising work in the console space. It just feels that they will have to cut a lot of complexity for the sake of usability.

You've pretty much summarized Bungie's design philosophy-- not just during the console years, but probably everything post-Marathon.

Myth was pretty complicated, but leaving out resource management and construction made the game simper than popular RTS games from the same period and eased the learning curve a bit.

Halo was designed to be very accessible, and it was designed to get more accessible over time, even while adding back some complexity to gain a bit of depth.

I think what Bungie will be trying to do with Destiny is to give people some of the social and cooperative benefits that you normally only see in very complex games on the PC (like Eve Online) and bring them seamlessly to a living room experience where you don't need to worry about what's going on under the hood-- stuff just works.

It's a tall order, I think.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread