YAY (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Monday, September 28, 2026, 08:25 (1 hours, 24 minutes ago) @ Avateur

Sorry to litigate, but I'd like to see the source for that. Who boasted about hiring people who hated Halo?

I remember 343 leadership saying they had hired people outside the gaming industry with the goal of creating a diverse team. I remember some quote stating that some people had been hired who weren't Halo fans when hired. And so what? Tony Gilroy wasn't a Star Wars fan when he was hired, and he ended up making the best Star Wars creation since 1980.


Man, I said I was only gonna say the one thing. And HBO and Google exist. But Frankie said it, and yes, he used the word hate. You can hire people who aren’t fans of a thing and have that be great. But hate? That’s quite the word.

Here's a copy of the article in question:

https://web.archive.org/web/20141014092328/http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191234/making_halo_4_a_story_about_....

Frank said "We had people who we hired who hated Halo because of 'X', but what that really meant was, 'I feel like this game could be awesome because of 'Y input' that I'm going to bring into it. I want to prove it, and I'm passionate about proving it.' So we ended up with a bunch of people who were genuinely passionate about the product. That is a huge advantage, and that helped in hiring and forming our team."

I think if you're interpreting that as "we hired people who hated Halo because we hate our fans", I think you're missing the forest for the trees.

(Not looking to relitigate, either. It's just clear that all of this was long enough ago that the details are fuzzy for a lot of people, even people who cared deeply at the time.)


Complete thread:

 RSS Feed of thread