I started all of Star Trek in story order last year.* (Off-Topic)

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 10:43 (3762 days ago) @ Leviathan

I really like the look. I loved the Enterprise shows in the mirror universe and the Trials and Tribulations DS9 episode - just for the look of the old ship, sets, and costumes.

The rest of trek seems too bland. Cardassian set design was nice.

A lot of the 90's Trek suffered from consistently using the same palette. So many bases, peaches, and greys!

There were times when they didn't do this, of course - and they stood out. As TNG went on, they started to mix up the lighting more creatively and that helped. Enterprise at least differentiated from all this by going cold blue, which also fit the tones of an earlier submarine-style spacecraft.

"aint no-one wining an Oscar for the J C Penny Springtime Fashion look" goto 1:04 or just watch it all for a laugh.

submarine-style spacecraft - ooooooo

Obviously budgets are going to limit you, but I personally would have tried to make a lot of the rooms distinct from each other - different colors for different fields, etc. It might seem weird at first, but I think it would have paid off on a show that could last seven seasons. TOS series didn't do this, but each room already had a big mix of colors to help, especially in the crews' quarters, not to mention each planet they went to each week screamed with color.

They missed an idea there.

Folks seem to think color is childish. A lot of modern, popcorn-movie-style video games think it. Everything has to be grey and brown to be taken serious. I think that's crazy. :)

All gritty and shades of gray.

To me, the 1960's Enterprise actually does seem futuristic. Everything is a bit strange and alien.

But, anyway. Talking of submarine-style spacecraft... they are my favorite kind.

Not technically a spacecraft

If I was Bill Gates then I'd have one of those. My way of getting to work from my secret volcanic island lair.

I loved that show.

I love the subliminal 1980 flashes that establish that the show is set in the future. Well it was then - unimaginably distant.

That was another show that could do color.

Love those string simmets and those silver mini-skirts.

I tried to find a decent picture of Colonel Foster's purple Nehru suit but all Google has is topless photos of Michael Billington's hairy chest :-(

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread