You can't stop the change. (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 17:43 (3726 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by INSANEdrive, Tuesday, February 18, 2014, 17:55

This makes me a little anxious in that the games I tend to look forward to are ambitious, immersive, narrative-driven, triple-A titles. In other words, the brainchilds of people like Ken Levine and Cliff Bleszinski, who are now leaving that field.

I'd love to hear Jason Jones' take on the state of triple-A gaming.

-------------
I'm not "in" gaming currently, but I like to think that I have my ear low enough to the ground that I can give, at the very least, and observation worth its merit. If I am wrong then I will learn.

Kickstarter Vs The Investor, Mobile games, the casual gamer, and the future of consoles as a business model. I'm not going to be talking about these - but they should be noted.

So with all that said, I can say that they arn't "leaving", they are changing their approach. Between the lines of Cliff Bleszinski's 'I'll Never Make Another Disc-Based Game', to Ken Levines statement (with added emphasis) on Irrationals site of

In time we will announce a new endeavor with a new goal: To make narrative-driven games for the core gamer that are highly replayable. To foster the most direct relationship with our fans possible, we will focus exclusively on content delivered digitally.

I thought the only way to build this [new] venture was with a classical startup model, a risk I was prepared to take. But when I talked to Take-Two about the idea, they convinced me that there was no better place to pursue this new chapter than within their walls."

...leads what they are saying between the lines.

For me - for MY (limited?) interpretation of this, the aforementioned "brainchilds" (though they are just a small, abit more reported piece of the large pie that is the industry of games), are acting off their experience and the change of the industry. What we have gotten used to these past 7 or so years is no more. We can see that just in the few games that we DO know about, by just the idea of potential fun that is being sold to us - Destiny included.

The slate has been proverbially ("console cycle") wiped clean and they are bringing all those factors together and acting upon them. They grasping the moment are making new games.

The question is - What format and How. They aren't done yet, so that is all I can say.

TL;DR

I think both Cliff Bleszinski & Ken Levine still have a few more "AAA" ideas up their sleeves. Time will tell.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread