Disappointing thus far. (Off-Topic)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, March 11, 2014, 10:51 (3759 days ago) @ uberfoop

Don't get me wrong. It was very good.

But it was unfocused, trying to balanced out trying to be a lot of things; kicking itself off, introducing new viewers, and harkening back to the original.

And as cool as Tyson is, he's never struck me as the master orator that Carl Sagan sometimes was. There were some very memeable moments, and the writing was pretty smart at times, but as a whole this just isn't delivering the same tier of performance. Also, the soundtrack's astronomical inferiority to the Vangelis original means that even if everything else was perfect, this show probably couldn't live up to the original.

I'm hoping (and somewhat expecting) it to tighten up with future episodes, though. This has a chance to make it's way at least into "great"-tier.

I dunno, we watched some of the original not too long ago, and rewatched a little last night too. Seems about on par quality and performance wise. I suspect your beef may be more about style and presentation? I mean, that was my beef with the original - the FX and style are just so dated, it's hard for me to really dive in.

Thankfully, there's the book. :P

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread