Disappointing thus far. (Off-Topic)

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, March 11, 2014, 20:25 (3702 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I dunno, we watched some of the original not too long ago, and rewatched a little last night too. Seems about on par quality and performance wise. I suspect your beef may be more about style and presentation?

Maybe, though I was reading some comments online about how Tyson is at his best when conversational and not trying to be "epic", and they seem to ring true.

At any rate, he's capable of being a good speaker.

I mean, that was my beef with the original - the FX and style are just so dated, it's hard for me to really dive in.

I see a lot of people saying this, but it's almost the opposite for me. The original certainly looks like it was made a few decades ago, but I still find the practical effects work charming.

This one? It looks like bad modern movie CGI, and it's got a serious case of a cinematographer being way too excited about a perfectly specular curved surface.

//=======================

On a semi-side note, the Bruno section came off as somewhat jarring to me. The use of that "christian cartoon" style, combined with the use of lots of extremely melodramatic voice acting, resulted in the whole thing feeling like an uncomfortably biting parody. I mean obviously the material is something that you could think bitterly toward, but... eh.
Maybe that's just me.

Which is unfortunate, because the actual material they presented in that section was an excellent choice, maybe even the best choice they made in that whole episode.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread