Destiny's Flood (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 05:47 (3817 days ago)

As long as Activision doesn't spoil it for us, I wonder if Destiny will have a secret on par with Halo's Flood or Halo 2's Arbiter. Is it the 5th race, with the onyx pyramids? With how much we already know about the Fallen, Hive, Vex, and Cabal, it could be cool to encounter something completely unknown out in the wild.

Destiny's Flood

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 05:56 (3817 days ago) @ petetheduck

it could be cool to encounter something completely unknown out in the wild.

Amen to that! I think I'd be both surprised and disappointed were this not to be the case. If it really is, as Deej said an "exploration fantasy" I'd hope for lots of unknowns, large and small.

Definitely

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 10:43 (3816 days ago) @ petetheduck

This concept art riddles something more sinister than aliens and territory scuffles

[image]

Cabal and Fallen walking together in eerie silence.

Definitely

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 12:27 (3816 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Don't forget the spooky text-marker-green mist emanating from their faces.

Public Event?

by Avateur @, Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 22:35 (3816 days ago) @ petetheduck

What are the odds that Bungie will introduce individual parties in their private little areas to something potentially unknown and mysterious as a way to build to something awesome? I really think it would be cool if they did, and as people played in different places, they run into different scenarios involving the same "twist" or whatever. Let it go viral online from within the game.

You and your buddies have decided, I dunno, to take your game to the Moon. You happen to go a different route outside of the beaten "story" path, and come across some who knows what situation that's brief, confusing, but "scary" and intimidating. Meanwhile, others chillin in the swamps of Chicago have the unfortunate run-in with something that seems related, but they can't be sure. Continue this trend to other areas.

Maybe then it culminates in public event? I guess I'm thinking of 343 Guilty Spark and how some things light up on your radar, but you never really see what's going on. Everywhere is just empty, and Covenant are slaughtered everywhere. Then that video. Then attacked. And all hell breaks loose from there. I'm imagining something awesome happening on a galaxy-wide scale, with the insane parts happening individually (but not guaranteed to always be seen by all), and slowly building to a massive reveal.

Public Event(s)? I Like Your Thinking

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 02:36 (3816 days ago) @ Avateur

What are the odds that Bungie will introduce individual parties in their private little areas to something potentially unknown and mysterious as a way to build to something awesome? I really think it would be cool if they did, and as people played in different places, they run into different scenarios involving the same "twist" or whatever. Let it go viral online from within the game.

That would be superb. A mysterious substrate that in fact could expose an overarching, deeper narrative, glimpsed piecemeal, beyond the obvious superficial ones. It would take collection and collation to bring it to revelation.

Public Event?

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 07:50 (3816 days ago) @ Avateur

So, like, have moments in the game where this unknown freak encounter happens and the game/story proper really doesn't acknowledge it except for leaving you vague clues as to the green smoking carcasses you were ambushed by.

I'd like some crazy ghost of lockout style creepy shit

Public Event(s)? I Like Your Thinking

by petetheduck, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 07:57 (3816 days ago) @ DaDerga

That would be superb. A mysterious substrate that in fact could expose an overarching, deeper narrative, glimpsed piecemeal, beyond the obvious superficial ones. It would take collection and collation to bring it to revelation.

I wonder if there could even be something as big as another planet that's not yet been revealed. If Bungie did something like open up a huge environment a month after launch, leading up to it with these little mysteries, that'd be awesome.

I think I'm getting excited for the unknown. So far, it's been a craving for every piece of information we can pull from Deej, but I'm feeling a shift. I want to go find it in the world.

The Guardians are watching

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 08:08 (3816 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I want to believe.

by petetheduck, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 08:13 (3816 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I want to believe.

I wonder what Bungie employee's version of Recon/Blue Flames will be. They could totally troll us with some unique and spooky gear.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 08:14 (3816 days ago) @ petetheduck

Dark Souls like invasions by Bungie employees? That'd be hilarious. Until the Webmaster shows up. Then you die in real life.

Public Event(s)? Not Yet Been Revealed

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 08:42 (3816 days ago) @ petetheduck

I think I'm getting excited for the unknown. So far, it's been a craving for every piece of information we can pull from Deej, but I'm feeling a shift. I want to go find it in the world.

I wholeheartedly agree.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 08:43 (3816 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Wish I had the Jason Jones quote about how he wanted to be able to warp into a random Halo match midgame as a purple hippo and wreck everyone. I don't want to believe.

Public Event? Ghost of Lockout Style Creepy Shit

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 08:46 (3816 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

So, like, have moments in the game where this unknown freak encounter happens and the game/story proper really doesn't acknowledge it except for leaving you vague clues as to the green smoking carcasses you were ambushed by.

Exactly. With the bonus of the clues eventually leading to a major revelation.

I Want To Believe.

by DaDerga, Baile Átha Cliath, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 08:48 (3816 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Nailed it.

by petetheduck, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 09:07 (3816 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Wish I had the Jason Jones quote about how he wanted to be able to warp into a random Halo match midgame as a purple hippo and wreck everyone. I don't want to believe.

I can't remember if it was a post here or something they said on Guardian Radio, but the idea of Bungie employees occasionally playing the role of a boss or other enemy character would be epic.

I can see it now…

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 12:10 (3815 days ago) @ petetheduck
edited by INSANEdrive, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 13:06

You are wondering the traverse of your favorite world, where you know of virtually every rock and tree and sound and sight. Your pockets are filled with the spoils of many recent victories and you are on your way towards your ship and home using the path you have used many times before.

And then you realize – something is odd.

It’s as if there is no sound. The waters seem hushed and the heat of the night seems to make the colors stale. The wind is calm. You pause for a moment checking the distance for as far as the sky will let you, and see nothing but what you know with experience – that still something is odd. You check your gear – is that what is making you uneasy? – is Your Bad Day loaded? Yep.

You look around one last time – just you and your shadow. Wait! – Where is your Sha-

*BOOM*

You are flung back - hard and fast. Your glimmer scatters around as you roll but are yet able to regain your footing as a sound such as teeth and porcelain gnaws at your nerves and boils your blood, even adding the neighborhood dogs howl in response to the chorus.

Standing before you sucks color for sound and emotes anger at your sight – *Gasp* “The Darkness!!”

You respond with your own personal reply – nothing says hello and goodbye like a Super.

*KA-CHOW!*

It evaporates as it disintegrates backwards.

“It’s not going to be that easy” you say to yourself as you cock Your Bad Day, ready to fight for your life and your loo – Hey!? Where’s the loot that got dropped!!!? Then you see it –it is being eaten by darkness – glimmering no more.

"-uck. This."

You unload – its void based properties returning them to theirs. A sound of experience is only warning you have to dodging out of instinct as you note your flank being filled by the darkness. You are being surrounded.
You ARE Surrounded. RAAAWAR!! Your yell in the moment – if they are going to get me I’m taking as much as I can with me!

Darkness doesn't kill it – just smothers you in till you want to – and this is not how it’s supposed to end. This will not be my Destiny.

*Click* *Click*

I wonder how effective good- ol’ fashioned fists work. You raise your fists at the ready.

*KA GOWOW – WUMPH!*

Apparently - pretty good.

Three Sparrows zoom by as two unrelated Warlocks unload their Supers in unison.
Another comes from seemingly nowhere and with the wave of is hand emits a large glowing light – healing you of your battle.

Without a word – Two Titans only known as “The Grim” let loose a wave of ammo from a high point, distracting the straggling darkness, as two Hunters teleport behind with Golden gun and White Knife in hand. The speed of the slaughter – the coordination of the attack – all only matched by the unrelenting nature of the Darkness as it tries to regain its hold of battle. Just as it has a chance it is pushed back and pelted with variety of ammo, and varieties of skill.

It zeros in onto the Grims – too much. Two Fists of Havoc (or would that be four?) ends with peace.

This battle – as simple as it was – is won.

“Wow - you all came out in the nick of time” says the Guardian, picking up the old loot lost and new loot found.

Who are you? Who is it I am thanking this day?

“We are DBO” say they as they zoom off into the morning sunrise.

This is Destiny.

/Drop Mic.

Bitches.

Definitely

by yakaman, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 13:53 (3815 days ago) @ ZackDark

Are you suggesting some sort of corruption? Like, some sort of dominating effect applied by some other...entity?

Definitely

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 13:54 (3815 days ago) @ yakaman

Are you suggesting some sort of corruption? Like, some sort of dominating effect applied by some other...entity?

It's possible. Considering they both have the same color scheme coming out of their eyes, as well as the general look, it's entirely possible thASSUMING CONTROL. FOCUS ON SHEPARD.

I approve.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 14:20 (3815 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Public Event?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 14:57 (3815 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Or maybe not even an actual encounter. I was talking to someone recently about this kind of thing (were you there, Paddy? MacPhisto? Or maybe it was with Stabbim the other week when we played through Assault on the Control Room).

I used to get the sense that I was being watched when playing Halo CE. The hair on the back of my neck would stand up. Maybe it was that the walls sounded like they were breathing. On occasion I hear things, and my screen would announce the presence of the Guardians. WTF are Guardians? That feeling of ... if only I could turn around fast enough I was see something I was not supposed to see.

More like that, Bungie. Thanks.

Kermit

*raises hand

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 19:41 (3815 days ago) @ Kermit

I remember that conversation.

Sounds fun.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 19:42 (3815 days ago) @ Avateur

I'm starting to imagine a lot of creative and interesting ways that Bungie can weave a narrative through all of the different modes and intersections of Destiny...

Thank you so much for that

by Avateur @, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 20:39 (3815 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

/Drop Mic.

Bitches.

Especially this perfect ending. :D

Instead of "DBO vs. the World"...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 08, 2014, 21:48 (3815 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by ZackDark, Thursday, May 08, 2014, 21:53

We can get to run "DBO saves the World".

I'm almost drooling with excitement now

by yakaman, Friday, May 09, 2014, 05:46 (3815 days ago) @ petetheduck

I can't remember if it was a post here or something they said on Guardian Radio, but the idea of Bungie employees occasionally playing the role of a boss or other enemy character would be epic.

That would be a great thing. AI bosses range from fun to gawdawful, but there is nothing quite like a human enemy. How cool for it to be some uber-powerful avatar spouting occasionally awesome one-liners? How unique an event! If you're looking to create unique, dynamic, unforgettable moments, something like this would be hard to beat.

"....and there were like forty of us trying to take him down. I mean, he just picked Zack up and tossed him into orbit. And then, he jumped into the blah blah blah...."

This would be the very definition of a water-cooler moment.

Or.. "DBO vs. The Solar System"

by petetheduck, Friday, May 09, 2014, 06:09 (3815 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Public Event?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, May 09, 2014, 07:26 (3815 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I hope we see a good helping of context-free moments (in that story/game elements aren't explained) where the audience is left to draw their own conclusions. Most good literature lets the reader do a lot of the work in their own head.

~m

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, May 09, 2014, 07:27 (3815 days ago) @ petetheduck

I want to believe.

I wonder what Bungie employee's version of Recon/Blue Flames will be. They could totally troll us with some unique and spooky gear.

Bungie are saving the Tigerman class for themselves.

~m

Public Event?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, May 09, 2014, 07:57 (3815 days ago) @ Malagate

I hope the history of humanity before the Collapse is left like that. Let us build our own story based on our own archeological studies of the environments. Let us try to determine on our own what life was like back then and how everything fell apart.

Public Event?

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, May 09, 2014, 08:17 (3815 days ago) @ bluerunner

I hope the history of humanity before the Collapse is left like that. Let us build our own story based on our own archeological studies of the environments. Let us try to determine on our own what life was like back then and how everything fell apart.

I think that would be best.

The central thing that has me the most excited for Destiny is how much potential there is for wonder. We have the past that hasn't been completely pieced together, and we have the uncertainty of the frontier. Just as the technological possibilities of humanity's collapsed empire coupled with Space Magic are going to shape the gear and weapons we get to play with; inhabiting the game world at a time when both the past and future are shrouded in mystery will really shape the way it feels. And keeping the true context so close to the vest as not to explain any(or at least most) of it is a great way for Bungie to preserve that wonder.

Which has led me to some pretty interesting speculation about D2: Destined Harder(working title); namely whether we'll be seeing other star systems, or a forward shift in time.

~m

Public Event?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, May 09, 2014, 08:37 (3815 days ago) @ Malagate

Most good literature lets the reader do a lot of the work in their own head.

Indeed. I'd say all good literature does this.

Public Event?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, May 09, 2014, 08:49 (3815 days ago) @ Kermit

Less handholding in games is almost always good. Oh, hello Dr. Freeman, I didn't see you standing there.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, May 09, 2014, 09:00 (3815 days ago) @ yakaman

"....and there were like forty of us trying to take him down. I mean, he just picked Zack up and tossed him into orbit.

I.... I want to believe.

Little did he realize, Zack had grabbed onto a large orbiting body, and channeling all of the power the traveler had gifted him, he turned the asteroid into a rocky nova bomb. Only moments before The Killhammer's demise did he come to know, he was getting dunked on.

Public Event?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, May 09, 2014, 09:04 (3815 days ago) @ Kermit

Most of my favorite books let me color the pictures by myself.

Public Event?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 09, 2014, 09:20 (3814 days ago) @ bluerunner

Which is your favorite, the Shrek coloring book or the Shrek Color-By-Numbers book?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 09, 2014, 10:06 (3814 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

At first, I resented the fact that I was the one getting thrown away. Now? Now I want that.

Public Event?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Friday, May 09, 2014, 10:16 (3814 days ago) @ Xenos

Which is your favorite, the Shrek coloring book or the Shrek Color-By-Numbers book?

Lil' Bluette has me on a My Little Pony coloring binge lately.

Its just what I see.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 11:53 (3814 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Avateur

/Drop Mic.

Bitches.

Especially this perfect ending. :D

ZackDark

We can get to run "DBO saves the World".

I'm almost drooling with excitement now

I don't know guys - the game-play has been done before. It looks just like another shooter. Destiny looks like such an uninspired boring game. Its just so overrated. Obviously a Halo MMO. Bungie sucks.

I mean its so obvious that all the investment systems will not only make the game not fun, but in fact - boring. Individualized Cool armor based on your play? Ha!... Ha! Investment systems don't make games better. Making a good game makes it better. You make good games by not having investment systems - OBVIOUSLY! Its logic guys. Get a clue. I mean Halo One (the one on the Xbox not the one on the Xbox One - Duh) didn't have customization and it was the best game of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Listening to podcasts is ****. Just like every other ************ who ******** a cheese grater. In fact, its probably more fun for the cheese grater.

And another thing... If I want to start a sentence with "and", I darn well can do so - you know why? All this freedom. Amurica!

And another thing... always ONLINE? An OUTRAGE! How am I supposed to play this on my offline xbox! ABSURD! ABSURD! Obviously its the guvernment illuminati zombie lizard people from space out to control our minds from the water supply 9/22 so that they can put arrows in our knees - leaving us defenseless during the invasion. Where is the adventure in that? So in conclusion there will be no pudding in Destiny. Get your shit together Bungle.

And another thing... Where does all the bread go when you put it in a toaster? You put bread in and toast pops out - why are we not funding billions to find out this mystery?

There is no sarcasm in this post. Nor is this statement false.

Good day gentlemen. ಠ_ರೃ

---------------------

...and with my OP swirling around in my imagination (one of many might I add), is what things look like to me when I read comments on the internet involving Destiny. Or Cody Miller - but that doesn't count. ;P

Bungie is making an amazing game and I don't think we can truly realize it until we get our hands on it. On the surface (need say I more?) it might just be another -in this case- shooter, but really that is what all games are. All games use the original ideas of Ralph Baer, that is the root. It all started with Three squares on a tv screen interacting with what is on screen. Both the player and the object in the game. Amazing.

Over the years – just like all tech – it’s been built on. Over and over. Again that is nothing new – Humanity has been doing that for a while now too - but that takes off into another topic.If you want to understand what Bungie is doing; go outside. A scary prospect – yet as you do that, imagine it as a video game. That’s right everyone – Bungie is creating the Matrix. Step 7 shall soon be complete.

To do that requires - well - at least six years and a slow build up of at least 500 people (known - who knows how much outsourcing has been done) and as has recently been confirmed (though I could have sworn we heard the same number unofficially in the past) half a billion dollars now so that the next 10 years is (hopefully) less expensive.

Why am I posting all this?

Because while I am being graced with your all too kind comments, saying "this is awesome" and what not, I can not take these comments so greedily. All I have posted is the interpreted potential that Bungie has said they want to make. For "all of us" to be able to do - if we want to. They are trying to make a game where you can eat cake and have it too. Where you can be the lone wolf in one moment - be with a unknown group in another moment - then be lone wolf again if you choose. Seamlessly. To use a existing slogan to explain what they have been pitching as far as I can tell - It is what it isn't; But it will be fun. I understand what they are trying to do; I am rooting for them. I want them to succeed. I just hope that they do so - intelligently.

Kick some ass Bungie.

HEHE

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, May 09, 2014, 11:59 (3814 days ago) @ ZackDark

Alternate ending:

"How can we thank you for saving us?"

"We usually do cash, but we take cashier's checks now."

"But we have no more glimmer..."

"...Those clothes look nice."

"You're despicable!"

"And you're being robbed, deal with it!"

DBO vs The Worlds will return shortly.

Destiny - DAYZ Edition.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 12:01 (3814 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

Its just what I see.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 09, 2014, 12:10 (3814 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

That was an excellent post INSANEdrive and very clearly present the way I've felt about Destiny.

My comment was mostly about it being DBO that rescued the Guardian :-D

Its just what I see.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 12:58 (3814 days ago) @ Xenos

That was an excellent post INSANEdrive and very clearly present the way I've felt about Destiny.

My comment was mostly about it being DBO that rescued the Guardian :-D

...but of course. I've seen how we play Halo. It is my hope - once the lot of us get to 20 and possibly beyond that we can help others in their Destiny, much like we were willing to help those to achieve the Vidmasters. It's just fun.

Even then - I hope such action will be returned. After all I expect the darkness or whatever the topics proposed "Flood" type is - to be much harder then depicted. Though if it is and we still kick its ass, more power to us. ;D

31 Days till E3

I swear by my pretty Hunter cloak, I will end you.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, May 09, 2014, 13:07 (3814 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

;_; But I just wanted to be friends.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 13:21 (3814 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Don't make me get the Honey.

HEHE

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, May 09, 2014, 13:33 (3814 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

*sigh*

All this was voiced in my head by Nathan Fillion. I sincerely hope he shows up in the game.

Get Vera, and we'll talk. ;)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, May 09, 2014, 13:55 (3814 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

The Vera is in this post. Right here.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 14:21 (3814 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

[image]

'Fraid we goin' to have to postpone that talk. You dead.

[image]

<3 ^_^

Oh my.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, May 09, 2014, 14:28 (3814 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Oh my.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, May 09, 2014, 17:27 (3814 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

[image]

-Friendship is not to be used as a bargaining chip. Those who do so are not.-

Now then . . . seeing as you look a little . . . scattered, here is your "Vera".

[image]

I hear its pretty good for burned skin.

/Calvinball DayZ Posts Complete

This is why I don't play Day Z. I would prefer to not be that kind of madman. It's not who I am.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread