Speculation?! I like Speculation! (Destiny)

by Earendil, Friday, June 13, 2014, 16:01 (3596 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Finally, one of the neatest things was watching Humanity launch outward after The Traveler came and orbited Earth. This is the beginning of our Golden Age! Also note the little symbols surrounding Earth. Could be important...
[image]

That's all I've got for now. Exciting stuff. I can't wait to play! :)

My first thought was "The traveler is floating way higher than I thought it was".

I tossed it in an image edit and here is what I got:

59 pixel radius from earth center to what I assume is the surface.
Earth avg radius is 3956.5 miles.
That gives us 67 miles per pixel. we get an "Above surface" distance of 1542 miles.
For reference, the International Space Station orbits between 205 and 270 miles from earth's surface, and geosynchronous orbit is 22,236 miles.

But at this point you're thinking "Well, distance between objects is not to scale". And I would agree. The other sphere in the image I assume to be the moon, and without even measuring we can see that it is way too close to earth. So either
A) That's not a moon
B) Orbit distance is not to scale.

But let's look at it a different way. If the distance is not accurate maybe the relative size of the objects is? Sure enough, the dark medium sphere is the perfect size relative to the earth to be the moon. The only conclusion size-wise that we can draw from this is the size of the Traveler, which would be a radius of 469 miles.

Did we know the size of the traveler before this? Or have a good guess from some source?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread