Do note... (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, July 13, 2014, 04:06 (3584 days ago) @ Kermit

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather have it explicit than out of sight and (potentially) out of mind.

Some stores list the price both including and excluding VAT. Most just economise on space and only display the including VAT price.

On your receipt it'll sometimes include a breakdown of tax too.

It's not about trying to hide it, it's about 'if I want this, what is it actually going to cost me at the end of the day?'

I would guess that is a similar psychological reason that Amazon-like "FREE SHIPPING" has been so popular - one price with everything included.

Hmm, maybe the opposite of that is why people don't like DLC...

For the same reason, I wish we didn't have automatic payroll withholding here. I think people would be more aware of the fact that the government's money is their money, if they had a visceral experience of paying it out of pocket. Ideally, they'd have to go to a big building and count it out in one-dollar bills every paycheck, but don't mind me, I'm weird, and way off topic now.

People are quite aware of VAT here. Especially if it changes: a few years ago, it went up from 17.5% to the current 20% rate. People could tell instantly that things were more expensive.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread