Disappointed by Crucible (Long-ish) (Destiny)

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Friday, July 18, 2014, 07:11 (3579 days ago)

Anyone else feel a little let down by Crucible combat?

I feel like it suffers a lot from the same issues Halo 4 had (though obviously that was 343 not Bungie) and to a much lesser extent Reach. The custom loadouts make for a game with no sense of flow - instead of map control and/or roaming the map looking for a weapon/opportunity, it feels like one big rush for the objective. 

It's the same meat grinder gameplay we see in CoD, with players spawning, racing to the closest objective or enemy (no need to do anything but, because you already spawned with your preferred weapons), and hosing the general area with rounds because everyone dies in just a few hits - especially when you add supers into the mix. And when you die, you hammer the respawn button, and race back to the objective again. 

I know Bungie have said that the presence of Special and Heavy ammo drops would prevent this, buy I can't say I've noticed it. 

In a game of Halo, a player with a preferred weapon would have to go out of their way to go to that weapon's spawn point. The player may pick up another weapon or a couple of grenades along the way, but if they want that shotgun then they have to go get it, or set up in that area to be sure to get it. And at every point during that trek across the map they have the choice to instead go on with the weapon they currently have, or carry on to their goal. That's part of what made games of Halo so dynamic, and ensured players moved about.

In Destiny, every single weapon pickup is a shotgun, or a sniper, or a fusion rifle, or whatever you like. There's no incentive to do anything other than grab just the NEAREST ammo pack (assuming you havent already got loads because you start the match with some) and rush straight in, same as always. And because it doesnt make you choose between this weapon or another, you can just pick it up as you go, with no repercussions. I've only had to actively go and collect Special ammo once so far.

I'm hoping heavy ammo will have more of an effect, but so far in every match I play I seem to be the only person picking it up; everyone else is just leaving it there for minutes at a time.

Not to just complain though, Im digging the actual design of the maps, and the seamless cooperative stuff is great fun.

Sorry to rant, just wanted to see what the general opinion is

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread