Surprisingly Enamored by Crucible (Destiny)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, July 18, 2014, 07:52 (3579 days ago) @ someotherguy

I love it. Haven't really thought through the "why" enough yet to post something as long and thoughtful as your post though...

My arsenal in Destiny feels much more personal to me than the arsenal available in Halo (and other shooters). The fact that I am not rushing to get the same rocket launcher or shotgun that everybody else wants is awesome. The feel of that common rush can still be found in Destiny (primarily for heavy ammo drops), but I am rushing for a personal reason (my Sargon-C machine gun) rather than a generic one. It is also super satisfying when you get to a heavy ammo drop and take the extra time to make sure that some of your buddies get there in time to get partake as well.

The rapid cycle of spawn, rush to objective, and start shooting is not necessarily a bad thing because it just means you can get to the 'killin and controllin' a lot quicker. At the same time, however, there are places to slow things down and get some quality, tactical time with your special weapon if you're in that sort of mood - whether that's on top of a building on the moon shooting across the map with your sniper rifle, or roaming the hallways and pathways between objectives blasting people with your shotgun or fusion rifle.

I have had very high expectations for Destiny since the moment Bungie went dark after Reach. In early June, when I started to watch streams of people playing the Alpha, I began to get a little worried that I was going to be underwhelmed by the Crucible because watching those people play it was not as compelling as my expectations demanded -- especially because I was having a great time with Titanfall at the time. BUT, once I got the chance to jump in the Alpha myself, I instantly found that I enjoyed the Crucible as much, or perhaps even more, than Halo multiplayer.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread