Why wld not being on stage in April be "dissing" their fans?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 22, 2013, 13:41 (4088 days ago) @ Smee

You said it yourself:

I wonder if Bungie shows up with Destiny again? Absence would fuel the "bad blood" story, I guess.

That's not an entirely accurate assessment of Beckx's statement.

What he DID say is that their absence would probably fuel rumors - which it would. There are some out there who believe that there is ill will between Bungie and MS, and regardless of whether that is true (I have no idea), it's obvious to anyone that those who already believe it would likely have their beliefs reinforced by not seeing anything from Bungie at the XBox event. Bungie not there = Bungie hates MS, because internet.

What he did NOT say is that he personally believes Bungie not showing anything would be a "diss" to the fans. It's a stretch to draw that conclusion from his words.

Anyway, my thoughts on this: Bungie simply not having a showing at the XBox reveal would not be a "diss" to the fans. Neither Bungie nor Microsoft has made any promise that such a thing will happen, and they're not under ANY obligation to do so. The only justification fans would have for demanding it is "because those other guys (Sony fans) got it." Which would be fine if Sony fans had gotten something XBoxers didn't have access to, but they haven't. Everyone was able to view the PS4 event footage, so we've all seen the same Destiny information. And if that game footage was from the PS4 version, there's currently no reason to believe it won't look more or less the same on the XBox 720 version.

And before someone points out the "exclusive" PS4 content, yes I am aware. But this is about whether the PlayStation crowd got something out of the reveal itself that would be denied to the XBox crowd, and the answer is no. They might get something exclusive from the final game, but that's not the issue at hand.

That being said, if Destiny becomes as hotly anticipated as it probably will, Microsoft may very well want to make a point of the fact that Destiny is coming to their platform as well - so yes, they probably will have Bungie show something if at all possible. But they're not doing it because they feel they owe you something to make up for the Sony show. They're doing it because, if you're going to play Destiny, they want you to play it on XBox. That is all.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread