Destiny Beta: Issues, suggestions, & thoughts. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 11:19 (3572 days ago) @ ShadowOfTheVoid

- Special/heavy weapon ammo needs to carry over when you switch weapons, or at the very least each one needs its own independent supply just like regular weapons. Let's say I found a shotgun in the first area of the game in that first treasure chest and I'm fully stocked up on ammo. I then find a sniper rifle later on and then switch to that since it's more suitable for open outdoors environments. Of course, it has no ammo so I fill it up with green ammo boxes. At the very least, each class of weapon (shotgun, fusion rifle, sniper rifle, machine gun, or rocket launcher) needs their own separate pools of ammo), kind of like how Perfect Dark had SMG, rifle, pistol, revolver, and shotgun ammo, and each weapon in those classes that you have on hand shares your stock of ammo of the appropriate type.

First of all, your guns DO share ammo by type. You can swap a fusion rifle for another fusion rifle without losing ammo for example. It's only when you switch to a different type of gun that your ammo depletes.

I actually like this system. In Crucible, being able to freely swap between sniper and shotgun would simply be ridiculous. This way, you have to plan a bit and stick with it, and if you want to change you need to get the ammo drops.

Likewise in the story / strike modes, the system works out well I think. It creates an interesting limitation, and makes you plan a bit for the encounters you are going to face. Being able to access all weapons at once would create a game Destiny isn;t really designed to be. Games with full arsenals are balanced around that, and they are fast, brutal, and have tons of different types of enemies all the time (Doom, Serious Sam, etc).

You also always have ammo packs.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread