Destiny Beta: Issues, suggestions, & thoughts. (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 22, 2014, 13:52 (3572 days ago) @ kapowaz

It's only when you switch to a different type of gun that your ammo depletes.

I actually like this system. In Crucible, being able to freely swap between sniper and shotgun would simply be ridiculous. This way, you have to plan a bit and stick with it, and if you want to change you need to get the ammo drops.

Likewise in the story / strike modes, the system works out well I think. It creates an interesting limitation, and makes you plan a bit for the encounters you are going to face.

I don't think there's any good reason why they can't have different behaviours for Crucible as opposed to PvE combat.

Either way, I disagree that it's an ‘interesting’ limitation; it just encourages you to carry on with a less suitable weapon (and therefore, use it less) when changing between different environments. If you're carrying a sniper rifle as your special roaming around outside, then get a mission that takes you indoors it's natural you'd want to swap for a shotgun. At this point you can choose to either swap whilst outdoors and scavenge for ammo (not ideal) or you can wait for drops indoors (risky). Or, third choice: you just stick with the sniper and hope you don't end up really needing the shotgun inside. They're all kind of annoying rather than interesting choices.

My preference would be for you to lose maybe 2/3 of your special ammo when swapping, that way you're not changing to a completely useless weapon (until you pick up some ammo) and you're not entirely disincentivised from swapping weapon type. I think I may even have seen a weapon that had something like this as a special feature…

I actually enjoy fighting without a special for however long it takes me to scavenge ammo. It's an added challenge. I don't find it annoying, I find it invigorating.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread