Probably not a popular opinion but... (Destiny)

by Fuertisimo, Thursday, July 24, 2014, 12:38 (3569 days ago)

This new article on Kotaku (http://tay.kotaku.com/world-of-destiny-more-than-a-shared-world-shooter-1609578918) pretty much mirrors my sentiments about how they've designed the quest/loot system in Destiny, these paragraphs in particular borrows my Deckard Cain analogy and I think is very pertinent:

"...Here's where things get a bit away from Warcraft. You get new items for completing quests, sure, as well as missions, and you can use your class vanguard like a WOW Battleground vendor, allowing for special items purchased through Honor Points, I mean "Glimmer" and "Vanguard Marks," but Destiny likens much more to Diablo than Borderlands in the loot aspect.

For example, I sincerely hope they introduce a tome of identify in Destiny so I don't have to keep talking to Deckard Cain to get my unknown items identified...

For all the things Destiny is doing right (awesome visuals, interesting sci-fi world, awesome music, cool social features) it is pretty disappointing that they so patently lifted gameplay systems pretty much wholesale from Diablo and WoW. Dress it up in different names if you like, but that shit is just honor grinding and Deckard Cain.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread