Question (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 08, 2014, 22:58 (3558 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I was glad for its absence. I am sure that for every one time it provided me with useful information from a stranger, there would be ten times where I'd imagine I was playing Halo 2 online again.

No thanks :)

The inability to speak seemed strikingly out of place in a game designed to be as social as Destiny is.

Having the option to speak (or hear) doesn't mean you have to use it....

I'm getting more exasperated every time someone says they don't like a feature or don't use it and so they don't care if it's gone or they even like that it's gone (in Destiny and Halo, and I'm sure I'd feel the same way about other games if I got involved in their communities). Voice chat exemplifies it pretty well. It's fine if you don't like a feature or don't use it, that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to, and me being able to use a feature doesn't mean you have to, choosing not to use it or turning it off would be very simple to do.
For the record, I can get behind preventing people from hearing randoms. I have difficulty getting behind requiring people to party up through their semi-external console party mechanism or to get in a very small in-game group to talk to each other.

So wait, what is this situation where you're with non-randoms where you're not in an in-game group?

I'm late but this wasn't answered and I'm all about clarity. The issue is that you can't hear anyone talk unless you join their party externally to the game or you specifically join their fireteam (or they join your party or fireteam). This is the case regardless of what kind of group you're in, it can be the general crowd of the Tower or explore mode, or a matchmade team in the Crucible, or a matchmade fireteam in story mode, or a matchmade fireteam in a strike, it doesn't matter, you have to go through menus and rely on them to accept your invitation, or hope they do the same for you, and then you have to go to orbit and then go back to what you were doing, and for some strange reason fireteams can only have three people unless you're in a raid-- I don't buy balance as a reason in general because you can have tons of people working on one objective in explore mode and you can have teams of six in competitive multiplayer.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread