Legacy Characters in a 10 Year Franchise

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 13:46 (4068 days ago) @ Ragashingo

There's a difference between EVE and most other games when it comes to skills/abilities though.

In something like Mass Effect, you can max out your character in fairly short order, and be at a point where you have all the skills you're going to be able to have in that game. Then when the next game comes out, we run into the issue Kitekiller was talking about - do we reset all skills and start a new series of progressive upgrades (ME2), or keep the abilities the character already had (ME3)?

EVE is different. You are likely never going to get to a point where you have a maxed out character - most estimates for how long it would take to train all skills in that game are 25 years or more. And those are estimates made quite a while ago, before a bunch of new skills were introduced. So EVE expansions with new ships, enemies, modules, and sometimes even skills come out every few months, but this issue never comes up because your character simply continues progressing.

Might Destiny follow this model? Perhaps, but I think the EVE model is off-putting to a lot of people - it can take days, weeks, and in some cases months to upgrade a SINGLE aspect of your character - and in that time you are not progressing toward any other skills.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread