*OT* The player story vs the game story

by Smee, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 16:48 (4069 days ago) @ Kitekiller

I thought of EVE as well, but maybe for a different reason. I've never played EVE, but in one of the videos or talks, they (being bungie) talked about having a story told by the players, not the game and EVE is really the only game i could think about (besides maybe tabletop games) that really do that. All the stories I've heard about EVE focus on the antics of the players, not set piece story moments. I think if Destiny could achieve even a small level of that kind of player freedom (choice?) it would be extremely impressive.

Yeah, this is what I am wondering about too. I like single player story campaigns (Halo, Marathon, Half Life etc), but I don't expect that guided exploration method of story telling to work well in an shared world. To me the two extremes in this are World of Warcraft and SWTOR - WoW makes me feel like my character is mostly the agent of the main character. I don't feel like the story is really about me. Most of the epic moments I have had in wow has been in very large groups, or focusing around an NPC as the lead. SWTOR on the other hand made me feel emotionally tied to the character story, even though it was so heavily on rails. I felt my choices were meaningful, and the character dialog was well done. However in the end, it lacked dynamic moments where players interact at a level deeper then a set script, when it came to story development.

I wonder what path destiny will take? I am kinda hoping that quests/tasks will be voiced, rather then what amounts to a twitter feed of instructions. Then again, halo is full of epic cutscenes, so I reckon destiny will go for that too. The big question is if the character will be voiced, if there is dialog choices and if we can choose our paths a little more then: go kill this, fetch these.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread