"Seven worlds" (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 29, 2014, 17:32 (3525 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r
edited by General Vagueness, Friday, August 29, 2014, 17:38

I assume he means sometime over the next "10 years". There is still a good chance that we might eventually end up with 7 planets too.

No, I'm sure we'll see seven worlds eventually, I expect more than that over the next 10 or 12 or 14 years, even, but I thought it would be in this game. I know they don't owe it to me and they never promised it, that doesn't stop me from wanting it. I didn't expect seven planets or seven environments but I did expect it to be close, I expected six, maybe five, because deadlines are tricky and specific numbers have a way of being less specific than you think. This was backed up by them name-dropping Mercury more than once (and I think Saturn and Saturn's moons and rings), on top of specifically stating we would be on Earth and go to the Moon and implying and then stating we would go to Mars and Venus. I did not expect four worlds, and I definitely didn't expect they would have a planet technically included like Mercury is. Granted, Mercury is the smallest and arguably least interesting of the proper planets, and I'm fine with moons and asteroids only having a multiplayer map on them and nothing else, and I'm sure no one's going to say "well this fulfills one world, we can check that off", but it feels like someone, at some point, took the easy route, instead of the better route, maybe it was a lack of ambition, or it was a lack of appropriately high goals, or a deadline that was more restrictive than it needed to be, or someone deciding to make large amounts of the game be DLC.*
It's also grating to see that at least some people there are... I don't know, out of touch, short-sighted, buried in their work? You don't see how people could be unhappy with four planets? Four is a small number, that's why. You can count to four on one hand. Yes, it matters more how much area there actually is, but that's harder to grasp, and you haven't even told us ("each world is bigger than Reach", but no clue how much).
I don't want this to come off as angry rant, because again, deadlines suck, specific numbers can be tricky, and they never promised seven worlds (I'm not even sure who said it outside of the two presenters at GDC 2013), I just wanted to explain what I think and feel about it.

* yeah, it's a large game, so you'd expect large DLC, but I mean in comparison to the game as shipped; this does assume each world has a similar playable area; going with that assumption, bringing it up to seven worlds would mean selling the equivalent of 3/4 of the game all over again, to people who already bought the game proper

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread