Key Words: At some point (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, August 31, 2014, 20:49 (3525 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think there is a huge difference is experience if you get a huge chunk of content at once, versus have it drip fed in DLC over time.

If Bungie released Destiny out the gate with a shitload of locations and planets to explore, the feeling would be that of amazement, excitement, and curiosity. There'd be so much, you just wouldn't know where it ends, giving a great illusion of a huge solar system with tons of stuff to do and explore.

But when you get content periodically, you lose that, since you reach that limit much quicker. You see the end and lose the magic, and with each new place you get, you know that's all the mystery there is. If you have the Europa DLC pack, you know all you get is Europa. If it's just a huge game, you have no idea where it ends.

If anything Bungie needs to give us tons and tons of spaces that they have never mentioned before anywhere, to preserve that sense of mystery.

Sure, except... the playable spaces are one per planetoid, and even if they weren't I'm sure you'd be able to see pretty quickly how many there are, and they give us maps of them, and I assume the maps are at least similar in scale, so once you've explored one area and have some access to the rest of them, you'll know pretty well where the ends of the world are-- or, hey, maybe not, the maps don't seem to show elevation, so the hellmouth on the Moon might make that environment a lot larger than it seems at first. Even putting that aside, I'm sure there are people-- probably people like you-- who would rush through a lot of areas and go from one of a map to the other and under any otherwise reasonable circumstances, especially with a vehicle, would be disappointed when you reach the end. (If your response is that the whole planet should be explorable, so you could only run into shoreline or loop back to where you started, I more or less agree.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread