Review Copies (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, September 03, 2014, 00:50 (3546 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I strongly disagree with you on this. Running into randoms while playing explore/story missions was really important to me. All the other multiplayer shooters have a much more straight forward approach to matchmaking which would allow a small group of reviewers along with some friends and family to allow you to test the multiplayer.

I'd love for you to elaborate a little bit so I can see others' perspective here.

My experience was that I would occasionally see someone in the tower or in an explore area, largely doing their own thing with no way to talk to them. It's basically like having friendly marines occasionally show up in Halo. The journey style matchmaking didn't seem to significantly change the game, since you were probably doing different things, and you couldn't talk. The public events aren't that fun. All the fun is through fireteams, which can be formed by reviewers.

I'm not saying you are wrong in your assessment, it's just that I don't feel that way. Can you let me know why you think it was so important? Maybe I've been playing wrong this whole time. I'd like to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Fair enough, I think we just differ on what portion of the fun lies where. I do think a good bit of the fun is in fireteams and that you could still have a good experience with the game playing it in a more traditional fashion

For the whole Alpha and for a good portion of the Beta I wasn't in a fireteam. So whenever I was alone and running around an environment or getting caught up in some crazy event (one time a bunch of higher level Hive and Fallen descended on that area you start the Devil's Lair strike), I'd run into other guardians and we'd fight shoulder to shoulder and at the end we'd point at each other and dance.

This was really special for me as I've been moving around the world a bunch the last few years and the times I'm playing don't really align with my mates back in the states. This has lead to me playing a lot of single player or mainly competitive games which definitely left a big hole in my playing with friendlies experience.

So when I ended up in the Alpha for the first time and I ran over one of the first hills and some other guardian was waving at me, it hit me like a ton of bricks, and I noticed I had a huge grin on my face. I don't think it'd be fair to Destiny for it to be reviewed without one of its defining features fully realized.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread