You're not the only one (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 05, 2014, 09:22 (3544 days ago) @ Decom

I was also trying to figure out why I'm not excited for this game. Here's what I've come up with so far:

The game doesn't seem to be anywhere close to what Bungie is promising. My biggest problem is that they seem to be saying that large spaces = lots of content. In reality, that just means more time on a sparrow.

I don't know how you know that.

Also, there are only four planets/moon at release. (As an aside: based on the $30-$35 price tag of the DLC, Bungie is conveying that they think the two planned expansions will add 50% more content to the game. This equates or two new locations but since we'll be paying for this DLC, the "price per location" still remains roughly the same as at release.)

And your point is?

I'm aware that the beta had some ares blocked out, but people glitched into places like King's Watch and BUNKR RAS 2. As far as I can tell, most/all of these closed areas were found during the beta. That worries me because Bungie has been advertising that we didn't get to see nearly all of Old Russia and that it's really much bigger. It seems to me, though, the parts we "didn't see" were not particularly large (in terms of content, not necessarily space). They seem to provide one mission each. The missions we did get didn't seem that long, so I'd expect the other ones to be of similarly short length.

What are they advertising? I'm not sure where this comes from except that they've said we've seen only a fraction of the game.

We also got a decent tour of the moon and, again, people were able to glitch into a few of the locked locations. There were some places on the moon that I don't think were accessed but if they are anything like the areas people were able to glitch into, then they won't add much more, either.

Judging a game's quality by the space you can see or perhaps glitch into in a beta is a flawed metric.

Bungie has stated that the moon is the smallest of the four locations, which is fine. I'm not saying that by going to two out of four locations we got to see half of the release-day universe in the beta -- but it does feel like we got to see ~35%. Obviously, I will be glad if I'm wrong about this, but it is a contributing factor to my lack of excitement.

It's weird because, at release, I think there will be about two months worth of non-contiguous, "fresh" playtime in this game, which is more than a lot of games I do get excited for. The problem is that Bungie is giving us the impression that it will be way more than that. This makes me question how much they're exaggerating (or down-right lying about) everything they say.

Have they really been that explicit? I honestly don't get the disappointment in the amount of content based on the beta or the number of planets or any of that.

I remember the promises and hype for Halo ODST and Reach; I was disappointed both times. Bungie's track record for its pre-release PR on its two most recent games makes me very suspicious of anything they say. I remember a time when Bungie was proud that they didn't say much at all about their games before release. This shows me that over time, there has been a deep, fundamental change in what defines and drives Bungie. I don't trust/believe the new Bungie nearly as much as the old Bungie.

Wow. I couldn't disagree more. I thought they had excellent pre-release PR for the last three Halo games (with the exception of the ODST Recon expansion pack misstep). I wasn't disappointed with any of those games. The big faux paus was in the lead-up to Halo 2, and that game remains my biggest disappointment from Bungie (and it's still a pretty amazing game).

And on an unrelated note, the fact that I'm not nearly as hyped as other people leads me to be even less hyped. This is sort of circular logic but I feel like I just don't "get" Destiny because I'm not as hyped about it as other people. Or maybe on the other hand, that other people don't "get" Destiny. Either way, this leads me to be even less excited for Destiny.

I don't like to use the term hyped because that seems to imply a negative, overblown expectation. The OP was about being excited, and I'm excited because Bungie has always delivered fun for the 20 years I've been playing their games, and non-Bungie people I know have played more of the game than the beta and they are excited. I have reservations about certain aspects, sure, but I'm reserving judgment until I play the final game.

Needless to say, I will not be getting Destiny until well after release, if at all.

It will be a shame if your early judgments prove to be premature, and you don't play for a while, but it's your call.

P.S. This post conveys my personal impressions/feelings. Because of this, I don't plan to do much defending of my position even though I realize a lot of people here will disagree with me (it's a fan site, after all).

Of course.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread