Get your irk ready... (Destiny)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, September 10, 2014, 21:37 (3523 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I agree with you up to here:

At the very least, publish a compendium of knowledge on the game's website. Make a pdf and have it publicly available so I can be a horrible person and kill a tree printing it out. Hell, utilize the APP FOR YOUR GAME to deliver it!

Fuck that, it goes with the game, this is how it works, this is how it's worked for almost 40 years. Maybe if it was included within the game-- not on a web page you have to find, not behind a URL that's listed even, right in the game-- that might be OK. This is not OK. This isn't some glorified arcade game, it's huge. People are telling me games don't come with manuals now-- the first game I got new with no manual was Halo 4, and there was a stink raised about that; I don't know if it's statistically true, but I don't accept it as something to just be-- and frankly I don't care if no one reads them, I read them.

I don't disagree. But if someone who makes the decisions is gonna be all "NOPE." about delivering a quality manual that explains the game I just spent money on, based solely on the fact that "It isn't environmentally friendly to print, and it adds weight to every box, making it not environmentally friendly to ship!" then those are the alternatives, and I can't think of any excuse they haven't been used.

Especially in Destiny's case. Bungie has made a huge deal out of their companion app, and rightfully so, it's a fantastic thing to have access to whether you're playing or not. The fact there isn't anything in it resembling a manual when the game doesn't ship with one is an absurd omission. If there was ever a place for it that wasn't tucked inside the case, it's in that app. It isn't like it's without precedent either. GTA V has both a companion app and a separate manual app, because what came inside the case didn't adequately cover everything they wanted to tell the player.

The fact there isn't a manual in the box is stupid, and bad, and dumb. The fact there isn't a manual available at all is even worse. Especially when there is such a fantastic alternative delivery method at their disposal.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread