Destiny campaign left me Vexed *spoilers* (Destiny)

by petetheduck, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 07:35 (3523 days ago)
edited by petetheduck, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 08:05

I finished the campaign with Avateur last night and I can't defend the story. The Stranger's cutscene on Venus had me interested--very interested--but the game's conclusion failed to deliver.

- Getting into the Black Garden should have been the 2nd most challenging battle of the game. It was pathetic. Perhaps this is due to the gate being inside a public space, but there's really no excuse.

- Shockingly little resistance inside the Black Garden. Again, there should have been more resistance.

- The game should have ended with the most challenging battle of the game. Unfortunately, there was no final boss. Sure, they had the 3 warm-up mini-bosses, but then the big baddie just died of natural causes.

Up until the Black Garden, I was absolutely willing to overlook the Ghost, Speaker, and Stranger obnoxiously and awkwardly failing to explain anything. The final cutscene was the tipping point. It was a throwaway for me; the Speaker's bit was cringeworthy, the Stranger is apparently disappointed too because she gives you her gun and ragequits--again with no explaination.

"TAKE THIS"

Why? Isn't that your gun? Don't you need that to, like, shoot things?

Bungie is artificially holding back too much of the story. The Stranger doesn't have time to explain, doesn't even have time to explain why she doesn't have time to explain, but then lingers with all these dramatic pauses. Hey, maybe she can explain in the final cutscene? No? Okay.

--

I had a blast playing through Destiny's campaign, even if the cutscenes didn't deliver. There is so much good in Destiny, but there's some bad too. I'm looking forward to Bungie supporting and improving this experience over time. We went into Crucible after beating the campaign and again, had a blast. I've had so much fun over the past few days. Thanks Bungie. Seriously. It's just a bummer that the game has fallen short in some areas.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread