Destiny campaign left me Vexed *spoilers* (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 10:41 (3523 days ago) @ uberfoop

Oh, so it's absolutely vital we stop the Vex in the black garden? Then why on Earth didn't we go to the speaker, say "Hey, the traveler is doomed if we don't destroy the heart." To which the speaker would send a whole ARMY of guardians instead of just two?!

Really?

The Destiny universe operates on Halo 3 logic.

Your guardian never asks any questions. Being long dead and woken up in a strange world is a great framing device. That way, your character would need to ask questions about how the world operates, character relationships and motivations etc, and that's a good way to tell the audience things in a natural way.

More often than not, I was asking myself why I'm doing what I'm doing, how does it tie into the larger world, what purpose does it ultimately serve? Something my guardian should have been thinking too.

I think the biggest thing that killed the Destiny story was this and the lack of world building. The entire world felt dead and lifeless. I understand it's the collapse, but you need to CONTRAST that with the life of the last city. A city we never see. A city we are only TOLD about. Take us there in a cutscene so we can see it and care about it. Better yet, scrap the tower and have the CITY be the hub. The queen supposedly rules the reef, but all we see of it it the throne room. That should have been AT LEAST shown as a whole in the cutscene where we can see the awoken civilization and how they live.

I'd be like Dorothy stepping out of the house on OZ, and immediately walking into the wizards's chamber. Everything in between makes OZ come alive and makes it interesting, and Destiny lacked ANY of that. The pieces are just pieces instead of fitting together. There are just individual threads rather than a woven cloth. I'm not saying you have to show us everything, but we need enough to be immersed.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread