Do Destiny reviews make sense relative to Titanfall? (Destiny)

by ireallylovelists, Saturday, September 13, 2014, 20:02 (3523 days ago)

Ok, video game reviews are a bit of a silly enterprise and there have been plenty of cases where the review scores represented a form of groupthink in one direction or another.. and usually not worth discussing..

And Destiny definitely is not a flawless game.. the story is.. well.. at best... the story is purposely vague and incomplete for the purpose of future expansion.. I am not nearly as disappointed in that as I am in the repetitive story mission structure.. that is a bit more shocking..

But even with this disappointment.. I don't see how one gives a higher score to Titanfall over Destiny unless you really really think the competitive multiplayer in Titanfall is just that much better than the Crucible.. They are both quality AAA dynamic competitive MP experiences .. the gameplay is apples and oranges and Titanfall was good, but the combat and PVP gameplay in Destiny is quite good (easily it's strongest aspect) and I don't see how one could say that Titanfall was that much better..

But in Destiny, you get sooooooo much more ... even if the story is garbage or incomplete and even if the story missions are repetitive.. there is a LOT more bonus content in Destiny compared to basically an MP-only Titanfall.. and yet Destiny scores are across the board less than Titanfall (.. GameSpot for example gave Titanfall a 9/10 and Destiny a 6/10).

So, I guess the only argument one can give is that Titanfall was "honest" about being MP-only (except it wasn't) and judging Destiny based on its weakest points.. I think it is more likely that Destiny gets lower scores because the reviewers were either setting a much higher bar of expectation for Destiny or just feel that Bungie/Activision set the bar too high with their hype machine.. I know there is no objective reality in this.. But the scores for Destiny just don't make sense to me even though I agree with some of the points that reviewers have made..

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread