Alright, THIS is the best Destiny review I've seen. By far. (Destiny)

by SIX min WHISTLE @, Michigan, Sunday, September 21, 2014, 23:51 (3503 days ago) @ car15
edited by SIX min WHISTLE, Sunday, September 21, 2014, 23:57

I don't know, Joe has always felt all over the map to me. Sometimes he nails just about everything I think about a game, sometimes he's way off base and gets a bit too nitpicky. I really think he shouldn't have had that clan complaint in there. Few people have to deal with such a large group.

I guess Halo and a few other games conditioned me for the low amount of in game story, though Halo did have a lot more going on without going to the EU so, and the approach really doesn't work that well for casual fans compared to the hardcore. The implementation of the Grimoire is a HUGE blunder though, having it in game would have help some. Most games with this type of storytelling have everything in game.

Gameplay-wise I understand the complaints. Grinding isn't for everyone, but it feels pretty good, decently rewarding if you don't lose your mind from occasional RNG bullshit. More satisfying than Borderlands at least. And there are a few ways to get guaranted awesome gear with Exotic Bounties, leveling the Cryptarch, and Xur at least. Having played a large chunk of Vault of Glass now has cemented the fact that Bungie "gets it" for the most part with the mixture of genres in Destiny. And competitive feels as solid as ever, though a bit light on modes and options.

I have issues here and there, but I also play a LOT of games and Destiny has that special something for me. I'm a bit surprised by the overall reactions, but not really by Joe's. I think that Machina video was pretty close to the truth for a lot ofreviewers, but a game that has to be lived in for the best experience does fight an uphill battle. In the end, I'm enjoying it and that's what matters to me. People should always seek out the games that resonate with themselves, and I hope anyone here or whatever that didn't like it can find something else.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread