Thinking about ‘Shiny loot’

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, March 02, 2013, 18:59 (4065 days ago) @ ODST VII

I feel like thinking too much. So… here I go.

There has been no confirmation on the ability to pilot the jets seen in the leaked concept art, but I think a loot system would be great for a customizable spacecraft suite in Destiny. The motivation to go on quests would be to get loot (Cash, Guns, Armor, ect...) to build up your spacecraft. Once you've attained the optimal setup to get to other planets/moons, you can continue your adventure. (by ODST VII)

Based off a speculative yet probable thought of mine, I would like to think that we would be able to pilot the jets/spacecraft. For the sheer sake of spewing my madness of context, I have a hunch that in pieces of Halo:Reach and the "Rookie" Model gameplay is/was in-fact a production test of ideas put into the wild.

As for the "loot system", while what you have mentioned is the standard norm of loot systems I personally hope for a different route. Even if the loot system if more a point-of-view-how-you-play-the-game type thing, the problem I find with “loot is the reason for playing quests” is that such an idea is a very fine line between grinding/fun. At the risk of simple verbiage - It becomes the singular reason for playing. An addict looking for the next hit. I would hope that the game not be so materialistic. Drop an enemy – search ‘is pockets. Repeat. Ugh – how droll. I just want to kick ass in the universe - not go pocket shopping. (Or worse - loot management)

The customisation is one of the things I'm looking forward to most, and therefore the loot too. I'm guessing a lot of it will be armour and weapons (not to mention cloaks and capes), left behind by the Golden Age of humanity, before we got cut down. Named weaponry is getting me so excited too, especially since I love the flavour Bungie gives such things.

But then, I say all this and I wonder if that'd make sense, to find and use old guns? It depends, really. There's also the concept art of the Vault, filled with gold and metallics. I love the idea of finding pieces from an old ship and those being just as valuable, while also teaching us more about what may have happened to humanity.

Ahhh, I'm just super looking forward to official confirmation of what loot entails, ahah! (by SigbiasSilva)

One the other side of the coin I like the use of loot as part of the story – since every scrap has a story anyway. Customization is always nice as well since it helps with the immersion factor of “If I was/am here what would I do?”.

SigbiasSilva brings up an interesting point too - will “the old stuff” still work? Would you still want it if there is better stuff out in the wild? We humans obviously got pretty advanced – but apparently something was abit more. Whether the more is of Tech or Tactical is only of speculation at this point. I look forward to those respective threads of thought.

Well I feel better now.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread