Tip for Destiny's Launch

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, March 05, 2013, 18:05 (4067 days ago) @ Avateur

Admittedly, Cody does have a point. Half of this could be avoided if not for the connection required bit screwing the servers, especially for people who just want to play campaign alone. Blizzard also came to find out that a lot of people really enjoy playing Diable III by themselves, and the always on things has led and can still lead to problems for them. While it's not a deal breaker for me, the thought of Destiny requiring my connection to always be on is a really nasty thought that I definitely can't say I support, and not just because of server issues.

My best guess: Destiny is not an FPS; it's not a Halo-style game with a linear, pre-packaged single player campaign.

Destiny is a shared-world shooter.

They wouldn't announce the "always online" requirement this early if it was just DRM. Usually if that's the case such details aren't mentioned until fairly late in the marketing cycle, as a footnote they hope people will gloss over. The fact that they've gone out of their way to point out something this potentially controversial (to the uninformed) tells me that the always-on requirement is vital to the way they want you to play the game.

World of Warcraft requires an internet connection at all times. It has a story and you can play through solo, but that's not the experience Blizzard had in mind when making it. An offline version of an MMO is an oxymoron, perhaps Bungie feels the same way about their new shared world shooter genre.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread