I love this.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 08:26 (4062 days ago) @ stabbim

In a general global way, how does this change things from say, Halo play? Is there a consensus? I think the really good Halo players would say they love the ability to run and jump and dodge while still being able to shoot somewhat effectively.

It doesn't necessarily change things entirely, as Borderlands gameplay, while having ADS (on guns that allow it, anyway), does not really impede your ability to run and gun. Other games (like CoD) restrict your player speed greatly when aiming (though there are perks and attachments that nullify this, which can actually negatively affect your enjoyment of the style)...

I agree. I prefer a Halo-style shooter. I don't hate ADS, but it's not what I love, if that makes sense.

I love ADS, but think that for competitive, skill-based combat like that found in Halo, where a single encounter can last longer than five seconds due to shields and health, ADS tends to NOT be enjoyable, since you have to reduce your movement speed for so long in a single encounter. See Crysis 3 for an example of why ADS in this style is not fun.

Is that something incompatible with iron sights? In games that use iron sights, is shooting "from the hip" relatively ineffective?

For the most part, it's much less accurate, with a large spread that grows exponentially. Aiming down the sites almost completely eliminates the spread, at the cost of making yourself a better target. In games like CoD, where being exposed for a second can guarantee your death, this provides a very good system of checks and balances.

Borderlands differs from this in that a weapon is good whether you're aiming down the sights or not. The difference is precision and range rather than general effectiveness.

it's more about the differences between zoomed and unzoomed weapon behavior than about the appearance of looking down sights.

Stabbim nailed it...

But I struggle to understand why more realism would be inherently more fun (outside of driving games). Just a matter of personal taste, I suppose.

I guess the more in-the-boots you feel with your character, the more visceral the game feels, making your successes more satisfying... I dunno.

A lot of the Destiny footage is very reminiscent of Borderlands, which I really hope it's like.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread