"Always On" and food for thought

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Friday, March 08, 2013, 07:45 (4039 days ago)

Against my better judgement, I'm sharing this here as I feel a few people will find it interesting and perhaps a cautionary tale for the "always on" trend that some games are going to.

If a game like sim city can have problems like this I wonder if it's applicable to bungie? (I have no idea if the player base for sim city is/isn't/will be larger than Destiny's population)

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/simcity-launch-complete-disaster-201105322.html

Considering that Destiny will be on xbl, psn, (maybe Wii and pc?) I can't imagine the server side resources Bungie must be mustering for this endeavor. I'd love to see that farm! (the IT nerd in me squees at the mental image!)The technology required for this excites me :)

**this is not a negative post

**this isn't an invite to start declaring the end of the gaming world as we know it

-Rev
Bungie, if you're reading this, I personally would LOVE to see an article (with pics pretty please?) on bnet about the resources you're building to meet such a challenge. Your network techs must be excited!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread