I'm not entirely happy with the news of a sequel to Destiny. (Destiny)

by car15, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 17:27 (3470 days ago) @ Korny

Bungie is contractually obligated to deliver sequels to Destiny at a bi-annual rate. With a timeframe like that, I'd be worried if they weren't already working on the sequel.

With regard to Bungie's plans to overhaul the current game, I think it's pretty clear that they do not intend to deviate from their established content release schedule. We haven't heard anything about the Comet packs yet, so it's possible that they will be announced at some point in the future, and it's also possible that, as I have suspected for some time, Comet packs are no longer part of Bungie's plan for Destiny, and the content that would have been included in such a release has been divided among the two DLC products that have already been revealed.

What follows is purely speculation, but I believe that Bungie have their hands tied. They are obligated to meet deadlines that Activision has set for them, which requires them to commit a lot of resources to developing future content, like Destiny 2, relatively early. I think this is why we haven't seen much of a shift in the amount and nature of the content provided in the DLC packs. Bungie simply doesn't have the time, the money, or the manpower to deviate from their game plan at this juncture. Player feedback about the lack of content and the underwhelming story can only be addressed within the framework of that plan. We're not going to see a massive overhaul of Activision's release timetable for this franchise because there's just too much riding on their ability to deliver the product at a rapid and consistent rate. And it's not like Activision to value quality or player satisfaction over dominance of the market through the systematic annualization of their franchises. (Bi-annualization in this case.)

Frankly, I'm not sure why I failed to see this coming sooner.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread