Grimoire depth (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Sunday, November 16, 2014, 23:48 (3475 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by General Vagueness, Sunday, November 16, 2014, 23:53

Yes, the Grimoire cards are amazing, and your post is a testament to that. Like many other aspects of Destiny, Bungie seems to have hidden its light under a bushel.

Well, my point wasn't how good they are-- it was partially that-- so much as the depth and the way they're put together.
I don't know if it's something about Bungie inherently or something they tried to keep or something they went back to, but they seem to enjoy, and be good at, telling stories with holes. Marathon's terminals do this with corrupted sections, and so do Halo 3's terminals and Reach's data pads, and now the Grimoire does it by having relationships and ties only being mentioned once or twice in a big mass of cards, or not even being explicitly mentioned and relying on inference to build context and even figure out what happened and where and when.
I appreciate it, but it's immediately clear to me it's not a storytelling style that would be enjoyable for everyone, and I think it's more problematic here than in previous games because you have to have unlocked and read other cards, and/or acquired certain weapons and armor and read their descriptions, to have enough information to even infer these things. I guess I was looking for a weighing of elements or just some different views, maybe something I hadn't thought of.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread