Critical communication failure... (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, November 28, 2014, 08:42 (3446 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by RC, Friday, November 28, 2014, 08:54

Everything you just said is off. I can't be communicating very well at all.

It seems like a good way to do it. Enemies are easier solo, darkness zone deaths send you to orbit. Don't die.

From the Weekly update I linked in the first sentence:

We made a couple of changes. First, we tuned the damage to be a little easier overall so that we’d see higher survival rates in 3-player fireteams. Then, we normalized these damage values across all group sizes so that players wouldn’t feel that additional Guardians joining their Strike made things harder

Emphasis mine. Unless I've got the meaning of that passage wrong, that means the enemies are now the same with any number of players.

In the very next paragraph James Tsai say's that the degree of difficulty for solo players now is a recognised problem. Moreover, one that they intend to try and fix.

The side effect of this change is that playing Strikes solo has indeed become a little harder. We acknowledge that this is undesirable for many players and we are considering different ways to solve these problems.

Therefore, it seems to me less a question of 'should it change?' but rather 'how will it change?'

Additionally, Darkness Zone deaths send solo players back to Orbit. Only wipes (i.e. everyone has to be dead at once) send co-op players back to Orbit. Believe me, I've exploited the heck out of this with many poorly judged manoeuvres. Without a teammate revive mechanic in co-op, not dying would arguably be more important than it is now.

For a Solo Player, checkpoints mean that a single, minor, slip-up resulting in a death wouldn't be as total and complete a failure as it now.

Your way just makes it a weekly strike.

Far from it. I considered that in the initial posting:

Heck, why not throw in Matchmaking for Heroic Weekly Strikes since it'd be easier? That'd make it more different still.

The Nightfall is supposed to be hard. With people it should be easier. That's the point.

I don't see how, with what I've suggested, that would change. Enemies hit just as hard. There are just as many of them. With just as many other skulls. Someone has to survive through every checkpoint.

There is also a big difference between a good challenge and something that's just stupidly hard. I'd like it more towards the former, personally.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread