This happens all the time with used Xbox Ones - explanation (Off-Topic)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 21:03 (3437 days ago) @ GrizzNKev
edited by Mid7night, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 21:10

The Home console setting is enabled by default for the first person who signs in to a new Xbox One. Since yours is used, and you've never gone in to change that setting, it is still the home Xbox of the previous owner. With digital download games, they become available on two systems when purchased - the one where the owner is currently signed in, and any account signed in to the owner's Home console. Whoever you bought your Xbox One from bought a black friday bundle and just redeemed the included games. If you never tell them, you'll get every game they buy digitally for free.

This seems to be the most plausible explanation.

But it's still puzzling...
Would this still happen if the person I bought it from did a system-wipe/restore before selling it to me? He said he did, though I really didn't know how to check, it seemed "fresh" to me. When I booted it up at home it walked me through the whole setup routine and everything. I even registered it on my Xbox account.

Also, it would be exceedingly weird (to me) if I'm getting his digital purchases, because the reason he told me he was selling is because he didn't have time to play. I don't think I have the the guy's contact info saved anywhere anyway. Maybe he changed his mind. :)

Re: "Home console setting"....didn't even know that was a "thing"

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread