How does destiny handle player (un)death?

by zumphry ⌂ @, Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 21:10 (4056 days ago) @ stabbim

I think there's a very good chance of having a semi-down state where you can be revived. Ever since I first experienced that system, I've felt like it's the right way for co-op oriented games to go, and it's all the rage in that sort of game lately - L4D, Borderlands, ME3 multiplayer, just to name the ones I've played. I'm sure there are more.

Yep, completely agreed.

This is tangentially related, but while I don't think Destiny will be quite as brutal as L4D's Director can be when you lose a party member, I wonder how party/AI scaling will work if you DO lose a member, or what happens to the AI enemies when a person gets matched into your instance/game? I mean, I don't know anything about designing AI systems (or game design, for that matter), but I hope Destiny continues what Bungie said Halo 3, ODST, and Reach did when you played 4-player co-op and made the enemy AI harder. Possibly even something like the L4D Director where enemy encounters become bigger or smaller based upon party size/performance, and that if someone joins up with you, enemy reenforcements show up (minus how big of a jerk it could be sometimes)?

Basically what I'm saying is that I want L4D in SPAAAAAACE where the zombies are Space Rats and you respawn in Space Closets with techno blasting instead of graffiti on the walls.

(I haven't gotten around to playing Mass Effect 3 [or 2... or most of 1...] or Borderlands, so sorry for the continued discussion around L4D's mechanics)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread