Upgrading Faction Gear - Am I Being Trolled? (Small Rant) (Destiny)

by Blue_Blazer_NZ, Wellington, New Zealand, Sunday, December 21, 2014, 14:57 (3438 days ago)

Small rant - just have to get it off my chest.

Most people seem to be annoyed/frustrated/pissed about the way upgrading gear has been handled with the arrival of The Dark Below; I am certainly one of those people. However, I have refrained from being vocal about it until last night.

I am a Dead Orbit guy; I have a set of maxed armour from them which max out at 27 light. I first thought that it was all basically redundant now, which was frustrating in itself. But upon checking the DO vendor, it turns out they have the exact same gear, but with higher stats (33 light). Yay! Except I would have to level it all up again...which is stupid, no? E.g. The exact same chest piece has the exact same perks, but just with slightly higher numbers. It's not even justifiable by being a completely different piece of armour. Even the exotics have some silly requirement to get have a not-so-Exotic Shard.

People will say "just get it and level it up". My question is "why?". Why is it like this? Why is this game so openly dismissive of the time spent working on our gear? The arrival of the expansion has suddenly made large swathes of gear sub-optimal, with only kooky, cumbersome and laborious means to upgrade them (except VoG gear...which can't be upgraded...because reasons).

Not to harp on, but I frequently feel like Destiny is trolling me every time I put it in. It's become almost a job to "play"; so much so that lately I've found myself spending way more time in GTAV and even Battlefield 4 (seriously, wtf???!!!!!!)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread