Not just that... (Fireteam Builder Events)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:43 (3317 days ago) @ bluerunner

Nowadays I have to warn Lil' Blue not to talk about it while at school. With places suspending kids for making things in the shape of guns or even pointing their fingers like guns, I don't want to go through the problems we'll have if he says the wrong thing.

So much this. Last night my 3yo saw a piece of chicken breast and called it the gun piece because of the way it split at the back made it look as if there was a handle. Heaven help me if my 6yo got this piece of chicken in his lunch and picked it up. Boys will turn anything into a pretend weapon. I think of a story one of my in-laws shared where his nephews, who were completely isolated from depictions of violence, received a lightsaber for a present, his eyes lit up and knew EXACTLY what to do with it. It was a weapon, not a magic wand or staff or cane, but a weapon.

Our society has become hostile to in-born male traits (rambunctious, boisterous, & physical among others), and because of it society is failing our boys. Not to say society isn't failing our girls too, it is in many ways, but it's acceptable to be vocal about that, not so much about how it fails our boys.

-- Dogcow (insensitive sexist jerk)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread